Like a well-drilled military operation or something (really? Ed) the somewhat eccentric gentlefolk of CRAPPPS hit the road Thursday to Saturday this week (11 – 13 January) on their 40th consecutive annual Plough Play tour. Made with lashings of ale and mummery goodness, the play is based on a script first performed in Cropwell Bishop in 1890.
The tour takes in 9 villages, 1 town and 17 shows as per the gig list here, with all proceeds going to the mighty cause that is Nottingham NSPCC for which more than £20k has been raised by the group so far.
This year’s team (in order of appearance) is:
- Jon Wood (Bold Tom / Tom Fool)
- Jon Throup / Richard Martin (Recruiting Sergeant)
- Nick West (Ribboner)
- Paul Howard (Lady Bright and Gay)
- Eddie Wathall (Threshing Blade)
- Richard Throup (Hopper Joe / Sankey Benny)
- James Byrne (Marling Ned)
- Nick Bereznyckyj (Farmer’s Man)
- Phil Wathall (Dame Jane)
- Simon Carter (Beelzebub)
- John Crawford (Doctor / Musician)
Guess what? You can click on the names linked above for some truly lovely (really again? Ed) pen pictures of our handsome and attractive cast. All biographies have been supplied by the individuals in question (apart from Eddie’s, which we were forced to make up because he didn’t return our emails).
See you at the weekend, mi duks!